More Than Just the Grassroots Alert
Readers of the Grassroots Alert may know ILA's Grassroots Division solely as the staff that provides you with your weekly newsletter. While production of the Grassroots Alert is an important part of what we do, it is just one part.
Have a question, suggestion, or complaint?
If so, the Grassroots Division is your first point of contact. Half of our staff consists of Information Specialists who handle upwards of 90 percent of the incoming calls, letters, e-mails, and faxes sent to NRA that deal with legislative and political issues. The reason the Grassroots Division handles these contacts is we believe that someone who takes the time to contact ILA -- for whatever reason -- is demonstrating that first virtue we are looking for in a volunteer -- the willingness to take action.
Thus, in addition to responding to these inquiries, our Information Specialists work to recruit these individuals to become Second Amendment activists via another program we in the Grassroots Division run -- NRA-ILA's FrontLines™ Volunteer Program.
Effectively Communicating With Your Lawmakers
As a voting constituent, you have a tremendous ability to influence the outcome of legislation. Ask any elected official which individual's concerns are most important to him, and chances are they all will deliver the same response: his constituents'. All politicians are keenly aware of the fact that it is their constituents who hold the keys to their political futures. Therefore, constituent concerns are of the utmost concern to politicians. The best way you can affect the outcome of legislation is to directly communicate your views to your lawmakers.
Guidelines For Communicating With The Media
Few issues today are more misunderstood by the general public than the issue of gun control. Many of the commonly-held misconceptions result directly from the media's often skewed coverage of this issue.
Grassroots Activism and Programs
When it comes to grassroots activism and programs, the NRA-ILA Grassroots Division, through its staff of state Grassroots Coordinators, has plenty! In addition to the FrontLines™ volunteer program, our other programs include:
- NRA-ILA Speakers Bureau Program. Whether you are interested in securing an ILA speaker to give a speech or to participate in a debate or panel discussion, the NRA-ILA Speakers Bureau is the place to turn. To request a speaker, call at (800) 392-8683 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NRA-ILA Election Volunteer Coordinators (EVCs). EVCs are individual NRA members who act as the liaison between NRA members, Second Amendment supporters, and pro-gun campaigns. EVCs and their volunteer networks also work to promote ILA's legislative agenda.
- Second Amendment Activist Centers. These are primarily gun-related businesses that serve as local distribution points for ILA materials, including NRA buttons, fact sheets on legislation and issues, volunteer sign-up forms, voter registration materials, and information on grassroots activities and events.
- NRA University. Rapidly becoming one of NRA-ILA's most popular Grassroots programs, NRA U brings NRA staff to college campuses to conduct training sessions on the facts about the gun control debate and what students can do to promote the Second Amendment on and off campus.
- Political Training. Whether conducting workshops on improving political activism, managing NRA-ILA's Campaign Field Representatives in the field or conducting voter registration drives, ILA's Grassroots Coordinators are the tips of NRA's grassroots arrows to ensure more supporters of the Second Amendment are fully engaged in the battle to protect our rights.
- "Freedom's Voice Newsletter." The quarterly "Freedom's Voice" newsletter provides practical tips for improving your personal level of grassroots activism. Contained in "Freedom's Voice" you will find strategies on how to effectively influence the outcome of gun-related legislation as well as how to work in your area to elect pro-gun candidates to office. In addition to the stories written by Grassroots staff, you'll find an "In The Spotlight" feature where we'll highlight a lawmaker for his or her meritorious defense of the Second Amendment, or a particular piece of legislation. Periodically, we will also run "The Activist's Corner," where we encourage "Freedom's Voice" readers to submit stories highlighting their own, personal activities. (To submit a piece for "The Activist's Corner," send your submission to: email@example.com.)
This is just a snapshot of some of the responsibilities and programs of the Grassroots Division. Staff also produce the "Grassroots News Minute" video component that is a regular feature in the Friday Grassroots Alert (please see below), attend gun shows and political conferences, coordinate the "Second Amendment and Firearms Law Symposium" and are primarily responsible for NRA-ILA's social networking activities.
||For more information on NRA-ILA's Grassroots programs, please visit www.NRAILA.org or call 800-392-VOTE (8683).
Latest Grassroots Alerts
- August 15, 2014
Grassroots Alert: Vol. 21, No. 32 08/15/2014
- August 8, 2014
Grassroots Alert: Vol. 21, No. 31 08/08/2014
- August 1, 2014
Grassroots Alert: Vol. 21, No. 30 08/01/2014
- July 25, 2014
Grassroots Alert: Vol. 21, No. 29 07/25/2014
- July 18, 2014
Grassroots Alert: Vol. 21, No. 28 07/18/2014